Everybody involved in teaching has questions about the success of their practice. We deal with some of the questions informally all the time. In other cases, we seek to formalize our enquiry by doing research, and that is what the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) is about. After reviewing the Key Characteristics of the SoTL video (also below), think about which experiences are similar to your own.
- Identify 3 key characteristics of SoTL that resonate with your professional experience and practice.
- Add your name and three keys to the bottom of the editable document (Keys of SoTL Google Doc).
- Compare your SoTL keys to ones listed by your colleagues in Keys of SoTL Google Doc. Add comments to other responses that strongly align with yours in the document.
- In your response for this activity:
- Upload a screenshot of your contributions to the google doc as evidence of completion.
- Optional: Include any additional ideas you gain from the ones that your colleagues identified.
- After you make your submission, save the web address to your response (found in the green confirmation box) so you can use it later for your badge submission form.
This video features several educators defining SoTL in the context of their own professional practice. The educators in this video express multiple experiences about SoTL.
This activity is part of the What is the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL)? section of the Scholar Module.
Example for "Three Keys of SoTL":