I start the beginning of each semester, my very first class with students, by spending some time introducing myself and sharing my background and then getting to know them.
I always ask them to share:
- What is their understanding of marketing and public relations — the topics I teach?
- What is their schooling background? Where are they coming from?
- Why are you taking this class?
- What does success look like in this class?
- What do you need from yourself to do well in this class?
- What do you need from me to do well in this class?
I let them work in groups for the last part of the questions.
I always like to start the semester with an understanding of where my students are coming from so that I can help them reach their goals better through the semester.
The attached document outlines some of the answers to the questions I get, that essentially outline What’s In It For Me? as a student.