A critical concept to the gathering of information in systems analysis is using the interviewing technique to identify business, user and/or functional requirements. To prepare for, conduct, and follow up after an interview, students must master several component skills:
- Interpersonal – build a rapport with the
- Time Management – schedule the interview time effectively, create a timeboxed agenda
- Facilitation – guide the conversation, stay focused, keep the conversation moving
- Question Development – construct effective questions considering the audience, type, medium, objective and wording/language.
- Active Listening – be attentive to the speaker, demonstrate engagement, provide feedback and appropriate responses.
- Note Taking skills – record relevant information in an organized, structured format