Create an action plan to examine key questions about improving learning outcomes in a specific discipline area using your own professional practice, informed by the research of others, to build your SoTL plan.
- Explore key characteristics of SoTL.>> “scholarship of teaching and learning” (SoTL), involves an awareness and effectiveness to a your own practice. The purpose of SoTL is to improve learning by implementing optimized teaching practices based on research and evidence to support changes in practice
- Identify instructional practices or teaching strategies from your own discipline that you would like to explore or test within your own courses.>> Bring in guest lecturers that have experience with the lesson or topic
- Consider what pre-existing instructional practices or teaching strategies from your own discipline potentially create limitations and barriers for students with varying experiences. >> many students get focused on theory for grades and forget about applying this knowledge in real market situations. Having guest speakers will change this and enhance the effectiveness and learning experience
- Identify a range of research strategies that suit your discipline. >> Harvard has conducted much research and currently uses ‘case study’ teaching methods
- Identify a framework for analysis of your research. >> Analysis would be if this style of teaching helps students prepare and obtain jobs
- Select a strategy for sharing your research for others to build on. >> The strategy to focus research is methods that SoTL improve learning (eg. implementing optimized teaching practices based on research and evidence to support changes in practice).