What keeps you going? What motivates you? We’ve provided a list that describes potential benefits to help motivate you to become more engaged in SoTL activities, the WIIFM value! Reflect upon the things that make you love teaching and complete the following activity.
- Improved outcomes and assessment scores.
- Useful data for assessments, program reviews, retention strategies, and accreditation processes.
- Faculty development opportunities.
- Increased reflection on teaching and learning among colleagues.
- Stronger institutional values on teaching and learning.
- Promotion of new networks among members at institutions.
- Scholarship opportunities in the form of presentations and publications.
- Opportunity for outside funding to support program innovation.
- Renewed excitement about teaching and learning, and greater self-awareness.
- From the list of potential benefits above, pick the top three statements that would motivate you to become more engaged in SoTL activities. You might also consider benefits not included on the list.
- Return to the shared document where you added your Three Keys for SoTL (for Three Keys activity). Below your entry (from 3 Keys of SoTL) include the top three motivations you chose from this list.
- Review and add comments to the motivations contributed by other participants.
- In your response for this activity:
- List the 3 motivations.
- Upload a screenshot of your contribution as evidence for your response to this activity.
- Optional: Include any additional motivators.
- After you make your submission, save the web address to your response (found in the green confirmation box) so you can use it later for your badge submission form.
This activity is part of the What is the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL)? section of the Scholar Module.
Example for "Engage with SoTL":